ARM Releases Q2/1H 2017 Data Report
As a member of the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine, the Student Society for Stem Cell Research (SSSCR), is pleased to share the announcement, below, from Lindsey Scull (ARM, Senior Director, Communications) on publishing their Q2 Data Report, Highlighting Sector Trends and Metrics. The Q2/1H 2017 data report is available on the ARM website, here.
Lindsey’s announcement from ARM: We’ve just released our Q2 2017 Data Report – as noted below.
WASHINGTON, D.C., August 18, 2017 – The Alliance for Regenerative Medicine (ARM) released today its most recent quarterly data report, offering an in-depth look at cell therapy, gene therapy, tissue engineering and broader global regenerative medicine sector trends and metrics in the second quarter and first half of 2017.
Using information provided by ARM’s data partner Informa, the quarterly data report details industry-specific statistics compiled from more than 822 cell therapy, gene therapy, tissue engineering and other regenerative medicine companies worldwide, including total financings, partnerships and other deals, clinical trial information, key clinical data events and current legislative and regulatory priorities.
The Q2 2017 data report also features expert perspectives from ARM member representatives and other key stakeholders, highlighting important focus areas for the sector:
- Expert perspective on the growing interest and advantages of induced pluripotent stem cells as a therapeutic platform, with insights from:
- BlueRock Therapeutics:
- Emile Nuwaysir, President & Chief Executive Officer
- Cellular Dynamics International, a FUJIFILM company:
- Lucas Chase, Director, Ocular Cell Therapy
- Peter Fuhrken, Group Leader, Process Sciences
- Derek Hei, Vice President, Clinical Manufacture, Quality and Regulatory
- Amanda Mack, Director, iPSC Reprogramming
- Christopher McMahon, Senior Group Leader
- BlueRock Therapeutics:
- Addressing the unique aspects of market access and reimbursement policy for cell and gene therapies, with insights from:
- Mark Trusheim, Visiting Scientist, MIT Sloan School of Management and Strategic Director, NEWDIGS, MIT Center for Biomedical Innovation.
“At mid-point 2017, this sector has nearly or actually surpassed 2016 year-end totals by several metrics, signifying a renewed uptick in dealmaking and partnering activity across the sector,” said Janet Lynch Lambert, ARM’s Chief Executive Officer. “We are looking forward to an eventful second half of the year, with several anticipated high-profile product approvals and additional clinical progress in several key therapeutic areas.”
Highlighted findings from the Q2 2017 data report include:
- Globally, companies active in gene and cellular therapies and other regenerative medicines raised more than $4.25 billion in the first half of 2017, $2.45 billion in Q2 alone. The report also includes financial data broken out by technology and financing type.
- There were 899 clinical trials underway worldwide at the close of the second quarter 2017, with more than 50 percent of those in oncology. The report also includes figures on clinical trials by phase and indication, as well as by technology type.
- Areas of regulatory and legislative focus moving into Q3 2017 include ensuring a supportive reimbursement environment for gene and cell therapies; engaging with FDA on its implementation of the 21st Century Cures Regenerative Advanced Therapy designation; initiating a regional legal analysis regarding Hospital Exemption in the EU; coordinating global standards development across the sector; and bioethics concerns related to the ethical, legal and safety issues of human genome editing; and more.
ARM will continue to update this information through new reports to be released after the close of each quarter, tracking sector performance, key financial information, clinical trial numbers and clinical data events.
The report is available to download here.
Latest posts by Joe (see all)
- 5th Annual Culturing a Stem Cell Community Conference - October 14, 2017
- World Cerebral Palsy Day: October 6, 2017 - October 6, 2017
- ARM Releases Q2/1H 2017 Data Report - August 24, 2017